Associate Commercial Counsel
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who We’re Looking For
Skillz is looking for an associate commercial counsel to work on a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, privacy issues, marketing and some corporate M&A work. As an integral member of the legal department for one of America’s fast-growing companies, you will work cross-functionally to play a central role in guiding Skillz on a variety of domestic and global legal matters as we continue to scale at record pace. This role will report to the VP of Legal.
What You Will Do
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of agreements ranging from MSAs, sales agreements, DPAs, IOs, NDAs, orders for IT services, and employment agreements
- Guide business partners through the deal-making process by advising on negotiation strategies and risk mitigation
- Advise internal clients on marketing guidelines and requirements, vendor disputes, intellectual property licensing issues, information and data security
- Conduct and develop training materials for business partners on topics such as contracting terms and process, negotiation strategies, internal company policies, confidentiality, data security and other key topics
- Research and provide guidance on a range of legal issues as needed
- Manage and work with outside counsel on a variety of projects
- Lead efforts to streamline legal processes to support scalability
- Research and develop comprehensive marketing guidelines for the business
- Build collaborative relationships with members of Skillz’s HR, procurement, sales and marketing teams, providing legal advice that supports accurate and speedy decision making and mitigates risk
- Minimum of 2 years of legal experience in contracts, IP and/or marketing
- JD required, member of at least one U.S. state bar in good standing
- Track record of a practical business and solution-oriented approach to resolving issues
- Proven ability to develop collaborative relationships with internal partners, excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and influencing skills, with a strong emphasis on the ability to articulate complex legal issues in a clear and actionable way
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication, and client interaction skills
- Experience drafting transactional documents
- Experience with IT, sales, marketing, SaaS Agreements
- Experience with Docusign, Ironclad (or other CLM Software), Jira a plus