Associate Game Designer - EverQuest
Darkpaw Games in San Diego is looking for an Associate Game Designer to help with our ongoing releases and updates for the famed MMORPG; EverQuest!
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to get their foot in the door to the video game industry and work with MMO veterans.The successful candidate will be eager to learn about all aspects of our development process, effectively work within the team, and release content that achieves our quality standards.
- Work closely with design leads to execute the vision of the game
- Create design documents for game content
- Participate in team meetings and present ideas for discussion about improving the game
- Communicate design goals to other team members, including artists and software engineers
- Help to deliver updates and expansions through ongoing game iterations
- Quickly learn to use a variety of technical and proprietary tools used to create EverQuest
Your Knowledge And Experience
- Degree in Game Design or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of fundamental principles of game design and what makes games fun
- An independent thinker who speaks their mind candidly and respectfully and has an amazing ability to integrate their ideas with others, and continuously incorporate feedback into their designs.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and other office software
- Extremely self-motivated with robust prototyping and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines
- Knowledge of EverQuest or other similar MMORPGs
- Become familiar with the design database, with a specific focus on NPCs and Quests.
- Become familiar with mapping, pathing, and populating a zone.
- Gain a basic understanding of items, spells, scripting, and crafting as needed for quests.
- Regularly create quests from documentation to implementation and testing.
- Effective at managing your time appropriately and remain productive so most small tasks are completed in 2 - 5 days
- Participate in team meetings and bring up ideas for discussion about improving the game, our tools, or our workflows
- Clearly communicate with other developers to move past roadblocks or areas of confusion
- Demonstrate high standards of ethics and fairness
- Examples of small game demos or mods to currently existing games
- Experience with scripting languages
- Examples of creative writing skills
- A passion for making and playing games
About Daybreak San Diego And Darkpaw Games
Our headquarters is where gaming culture and the San Diego culture collide; Creating a vibrant work environment that epitomizes our belief that every day should be well played. From our four-legged canine friends who can accompany us to work each day to company movie viewings, the perks of working at Daybreak San Diego extend well beyond the beautiful weather in this prime location. Access to the local gym, board game nights, and a strong appreciation for the local craft brew scene (we even turned one of our original game servers into an on-site kegerator) are just some of the ways that working at Daybreak San Diego isn't just about having job; it's about being part of a community.
Exceptional employee benefits: 18 days PTO first year; Robust Medical, Dental, Vision insurance coverage for entire family; Company matched 401k vested immediately; Flex Spending Accounts, generous tuition reimbursements, ultra-creative environment, bring your dog to work with you.
**Daybreak Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to Diversity in the workplace.**
*Employment agencies: Please don't contact this job post with unsolicited services or offers*