Associate Map Artist
About the job
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar New England is on the lookout for a passion-driven junior artist to work with the environment art team and assist with the creation and implementation of art assets.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar's studio in Andover, MA.
What We Do
- What we do is fundamental to the player’s experience. They run through our environments, interact with our assets, and feel ownership over artwork that we designed.
- Visual storytelling is as important in video games as it is in film. We create, visually, the story of people’s lives.
- We create fully realized environments to enhance the game experience for players.
- Work with lead to create and iterate a wide range of realistic 3D art to enrich game environments that would be used for world locations.
- Work close with lead to create realistic surface details when requested.
- Assist team with managing expectations of quality control utilizing asset reviewing and debugging.
- Set decking environments with an eye towards natural layouts and aesthetic composition.
- Optimize assets for performance control while keeping best quality results.
- Pursue a high quality of both aesthetics and visual storytelling.
- Proactively seek feedback from Leads and Creative Directors.
- Proactively keep Leads and Creative Directors informed of progress and developments.
- Participate in R&D, problem solving artistic solutions to technical problems.
- Work with flair while maintaining the restraints of the medium.
- Actively pursue knowledge of the medium – what works, what doesn’t, and what we can do about it.
- We will consider Associate candidates with no industry experience if their portfolio is of a very high standard.
- Ideal associate candidates are suggested to have 1+ years as a 3D artist within gaming or similar industry.
- Excellent environment 3D art creation skills.
- All-around artistic expertise and flair.
- The technical ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- An interest in learning to understand and work within the restraints of the medium.
- Ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation.
- Comfortable working in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints.
- Familiarity with 3ds Max (or similar) and Photoshop.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Eagerness to learn and upskill – we are open to applicants who do not possess a background in games and can provide training where relevant.
- Passion for Games.
- Experience with Substance Painter/Designer.
- Experience with Z Brush.
Please apply with a resume and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar Games recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.