Are you looking for an opportunity to work with a growing team on an exciting new project? Do you consider yourself a champion for the quality of products? Do you understand the unique challenges of creating video games?
Our team at Stoic, 4-time BAFTA nominated independent video game company, is seeking a Combat Designer for the development of our next project. You will help us take the project from prototype phase through beta, launch, and live support over a 3+ year timeframe.
As a Combat Design for our project, you will work closely with the Lead Combat Designer to create the moves, special abilities and enemies that will define the game. You will also collaborate with animators and work hands-on to implement your designs.
What you will do:
- Written & verbal communication:
- Creation of pitches and full designs for characters, abilities and enemies
- Regular syncs with Lead Combat Designer for coordination & synchronization
- Combat Design work:
- Brainstorm and choreograph weapons, moves, enemies and abilities for a fast-paced action game
- Using UE4 and our custom tools, implement combat moves and abilities into our game
- Look at montages in Unreal and adjust timing and pacing of moves
- Be engaged in other aspects, both in & outside of the Combat Design space
- Written & verbal communication is key! You have the ability to communicate effectively throughout the studio and with partner teams
- Strong collaboration skills with studio designers and partner teams
- A passion for combat design paired with willingness to take feedback
- Ability to prioritize issues by severity & urgency considering context, with focus on players’ experiences
- Passion for impacting the game and influencing studio and partner teams to make sure the right balancing, progression, & accurate data are being effectively communicated
- Ability to present complex design & technical information to a variety of audiences
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A proven track record of successfully shipping software
- 2-3+ years of Combat Design experience
- Experience working in a milestone model (e.g. concrete deliverables that are delivered regularly)
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with GaaS development – MMO / Live Games
While we do have offices in Austin, TX and Seattle, WA, this position will be fully remote.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.