Engineering Leader, External Development
We are looking for an Engineering Leader to oversee the engineering efforts, both internally and externally, for some of the games we think you might know.
Our backgrounds may be diverse, but we all share the same passion: bringing the world together through epic experiences. We value communication and collaboration, and most importantly, we want to get things done and try things that seem impossible at first blush. Don’t apply if you are afraid to fail, and more importantly, don’t apply if you aren’t willing to try. If you have a genuine passion for production, helping teams get things done, and making great games, this may be your opportunity.
Your potential future would have direct reports: it will be a small crew, but an opportunity to help build the crew. Make no mistake: it will be challenging, require honest dialog and smart thinking, and most importantly it will be fun and rewarding. Experience with humane, compelling leadership, the ability to think creatively while crafting substance from ether, and a background in building sustainable technologies in a live operations model are greatly valued. A comprehensive understanding of multi-team, multi-site development is an absolute must.
Your role will focus on two main areas of game development: overseeing the engineering efforts of external development studios and building a high sustainable live operations model. Some of the games you may oversee have a rich history of development and building a team to provide ongoing support will be a primary objective. You will also work with external development partners, ensuring what is built is both sustainable and maintainable by other engineering groups. Leveraging different technologies is your passion and finding how to use these technologies to support future goals is something you strive for as an engineer. Excellent communication skills are critical in championing your vision to both internal and external leadership. You can think creatively to find solutions that offer a balance of stability and flexibility and a comprehensive understanding of multi-team, multi-site development is a must.
- Own the quality level of our new and existing services
- Collaborate with external development studios to ensure each game is being built to be highly available and maintainable in a live environment
- Understand and communicate the trade-offs between technical and design choices and solve for the best player experience
- Knowledge of mainstream engines and experience in building propriety game engines
- Ensure and establish coding standards and practices
- Manage a team of engineers focused on the reliability of our games
What will it take to be successful in this role? Someone who understand the complexities of multi-studio development and has the passion to find technological solutions for developing triple A titles. We want people that love the process of developing games and want to continue to help us become better developers. Previous experience we’d like to see:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working as a lead engineer or technical director on a game team
- Must have shipped at least one game in an engineering leadership role using external development (AAA games preferred)
- Experience with native/custom engines
- Experience building and supporting a live client/server network game
- Fluent in C# and C++
- Previous leadership/mentorship experience
- Fun to work with