Engineering Manager, Quality Assurance Automation
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly traded (NYSE: SLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who We’re Looking For
You're excited to build an amazing product for the esports industry while building a great team around you. You take pride in doing things the “right” way and you’re willing to continuously improve your team’s processes. You’re excited to play a key role in product development and you’re eager to work closely with both the product team and a beta-user community to perfect our product. You have an attention to detail, and are excited to dive into every nook and cranny of the Skillz ecosystem, cultivating that skill in your teams as well!
What You'll Do
- Participate with engineering management in developing a long-term technology road map.
- Recruit, hire and motivate QA automation engineers in the US and Canada
- Manage and continuously improve the product development process, participate in code and design reviews.
- Partner with product owners and program managers to help plan releases and schedule development. Provide feedback and feasibility insights for proposed development features.
- Define key quality KPIs and metrics for product teams and the QA team itself.
- Drive testing efforts including automation to the beginning of the development cycle (shift left testing) by providing technical direction to the team on their automation strategies to maintain the highest bar of quality possible for all releases.
- Maintain and promote an inclusive, and high-performance culture, provide support for your teams’ career growth and personal development.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- 3+ years of experience managing, growing, and developing a team of QA engineers or proven track record of running high quality QA departments.
- Experience with testing high-availability distributed production systems
- Experience in designing, developing, and maintaining scalable test automation solutions for Web, iOS, Android, or REST APIs
- Outstanding organizational, project management, people, collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, problem solve, multitask, and work independently in a dynamic, rapidly changing workplace
- Familiarity with TypeScript, Python, Ruby, or Java is a plus
- Hands on experience with test automation frameworks like Cypress and Selenium is a plus
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.