Engineering Manager, Storytelling
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people headquartered in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have grossed over $1 billion in revenue. We continue to release brand new content for Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As an Engineering Manager on the Episode team, you will lead a team of talented engineers to ship our mobile storytelling platform on iOS and Android, enabling writers to create stories that reach millions of users. The platform’s roadmap will be driven by your close collaboration with cross-functional teams and your extensive technical know-how. You will engage and develop engineers on your team, and guide their efforts as they undertake a wide variety of technical challenges.
This role is a part of our Storytelling Track, which develops games and projects focused on narrative storytelling and character building.
Note: This role is open to remote employment for those who reside in California and Washington State
What We’ve Accomplished
- Localized our stories to support our broader and diverse audiences
- Migrated the app to C++ via automated scripts to improve and curate a better experience for each platform
- Migrated our ads platform from an in-house mediation system to an external mediation platform
- Created features to improve the workflow of external writers who create new stories for Episode to empower them to understand and grow their business on Episode
What You’ll Do
- Engage and develop your team of engineers in their skills and careers
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to the team in software engineering best practices
- Balance the technical and product roadmaps within the team
- Code! You’ll design and code innovative, scalable and robust features
- Collaborate closely in small, nimble, cross-functional teams with product managers, artists and designers
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
What You Bring to [the team]:
- 5+ years of engineering experience, including at least 1 year of relevant engineering team management experience
- Strong team building and empowering skills; you love building scalable and high-performing teams of engineers
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP
- Bonus points for
- A love for mobile development on iOS and/or Android
- Passion for building a performant platform that allows writers and storytellers to create stories that reach millions of readers
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Extra Gems For
- Experience in C++ and Python, as well as Cloud Services, such as AWS or GAE Prior entertainment or gaming industry experience
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
- Pocket Gems Blog
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability -- and we hope to engage with talent based on these and other core values. We also offer competitive perks, such as flexible vacation, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package,
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.