Game Writer / Narrative Designer – Echtra
About the job
Echtra Games is looking for a Game Writer / Narrative Designer to join our growing team for a new cross platform ARPG project. The Writer will focus on developing the fiction within an existing franchise and deliver content in the form of lore, quests, dialogue, and other story elements. The Writer must be able to work with artists, game designers, and other studio team members to shape the fiction of our world.
We are a small game studio in San Francisco with a team of veteran game developers. At Echtra, we value diversity and support work-life balance. We have great benefits, an open vacation policy, and flexible schedules.
- Create concepts, story treatments, and pitch documents for main game story and key story moments under the supervision of the Lead Designer and other studio executives.
- Write and revise game episodes, story arcs, and quests, working closely with the Design team.
- Collaborate with the Design team to create and maintain NPC character information and world back story.
- Collaborate with the Art team to develop fully fleshed-out characters and stories.
- Experience writing fiction in the science fiction genre.
- B.A. degree preferred in English, Communications or similar major, or equivalent game writing experience.
- 5-8 years writing experience in gaming, including dialogue, characters, treatments, and cinematics.
- High level of flexibility with regard to change in direction or rewrites.
- Efficient organization and communication skills and ability to prioritize and execute ideas within a schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively with design, art, and development teams.
- Able to take direction from the Leads and Supervisors and feedback from the Directors.
- Strong research skills and extraordinary attention to detail.
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling.
- Candidates should be prepared to provide at least 2 writing samples or a link to your online writing portfolio. Strong preference for video game writing examples.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary, bonus plan, Zynga RSU’s (Restricted Stock Units), ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan)
- 401K Company Match Contribution
- Medical, dental, vision, EAP, life insurance, and disability benefits
- Virtual mental health and neurodiversity support programs
- Family planning support program
- Generous paid maternity/parental leave
- Subsidized Back-up child care
- Discretionary Time Off policy for many employees
- Flexible working hours on many teams
- Culture of diversity and inclusion including employee resource groups
- Work with cool people and impact millions of daily players
Hiring Update: The safety of our candidates and team members is our top priority. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our workforce transitioned to working from home, with all interviewing and onboarding being conducted virtually until further notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse and talented workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law. We welcome job-seekers, players, employees, and partners from all backgrounds to join us!
We will consider all qualified job-seekers with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities in order to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at AccommodationRequest@zynga.com to request an accommodation associated with your application for an open position.
Careers Category: Game Design
Careers location: Remote, US
Connected Worker Type: Offsite
Requisition ID: P210374