General Manager, Games
About the job
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For
A GM of Mobile Games will be responsible for owning and driving the revenue and profit performance for several major games in the Skillz portfolio. You will drive incremental revenue through the identification and execution of commercial strategies and the optimization of core business levers. These initiatives will drive tens of millions of dollars of revenue. As a business owner, you will lead the development and execution of long- and short-term strategies and work across all aspects of the business, including marketing, live operations, pricing, game content & quality, product, distribution, business development, and finance, etc.
The ideal candidate will be an analytically driven strategic leader with strong problem-solving skills, a high degree of business acumen, B2C and B2B experience, and the ability to work with and influence a variety of individuals, both internally and externally, at all levels.
What You Will Do
- Optimize the game’s P&L to maintain profitability and sustain growth
- Develop growth plans by vertical to achieve/surpass revenue and profit targets in collaboration with cross-functional partners
- Know the players we are serving and ensure our strategies, plans, and initiatives meet their needs better than our competitors do
- Oversee development, structuring, and modeling of strategic investment options with varying levels of complexity
- Build enthusiasm among senior cross-functional stakeholders (product, game content, marketing, operations, etc.) to deliver key growth initiatives and leverage relationships to overcome obstacles that prevent progress
- Bring key initiatives to market; driving work to completion and successful commercialization of your ideas is just as important as identifying a winning strategy
- Keep a pulse on the business by monitoring the performance of sales and critical KPIs; work through others to detect and immediately rectify performance issues; identify and exploit opportunities
- Manage a small team of direct reports; provide guidance/prioritization on work deliverables, facilitate ongoing conversations about career development, and foster a collaborative, transparent team culture
- P&L orientation – either with prior experience managing a P&L or directly supporting the delivery of revenue and profit goals for a company or business unit
- 7+ years experience in strategy, or comparable analytics-heavy environment, leading teams or cross-functionally managing in a highly matrixed organization, influencing senior leadership, and managing multiple projects with demanding deadlines, changing requirements, and limited resources
- Experience in gaming, entertainment, e-commerce, or a fast-paced environment is preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, business, mathematics, or engineering
- Strong business and financial acumen. Ability to understand the economic drivers behind a variety of business models
- Assertive yet professional demeanor, persistent and willing to lead the way to meet deadlines, particularly in combination with product and tech
- Demonstrated success in verbal, presentation, and written communication with senior leadership to influence impactful change in the organization
- Desire to help create a fun and productive culture
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.