Head of Internal Audit
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
What We’re Looking For
We are seeking a seasoned Head of Internal Audit to build and lead the internal audit team. The Head of Internal audit will be responsible for building strong relationships throughout Skillz while providing consultation on risks, governance, and internal controls to senior leadership and the audit committee.
What You Will Do
- Manage and execute audits, including identifying and analyzing risks, planning and prioritizing the audit work, conducting interviews, observing operations, documenting and analyzing procedures and controls, completing audit tests at times, preparing and reviewing appropriate work papers, developing audit recommendations, socializing identified issues with appropriate management, and preparing audit reports
- Responsible for ensuring the team completes the company’s SOX testing on behalf of management within deadlines working closely with the Company's 3rd party SOX advisory firm
- Collaborate to develop and implement an audit plan that includes an assessment of all relevant risk factors
- Along with the Company's 3rd party SOX advisory firm develop the Company's Internal Audit strategy and roadmap
- Recruiting, screening, hiring, developing, and mentoring audit team. Share information among the Internal Audit group, transferring knowledge and providing instruction and guidance as appropriate. Foster and maintain a healthy, collaborative team environment and strong group morale
- Bachelor or higher degree in accounting or finance
- 15 years of experience, including 5+ years of public accounting in the technology (or interactive media) industry
- CPA, or equivalent qualification
- Proven record of leading and growing a high performing internal audit team at a public tech (or interactive media) company
- Written, verbal skills, and experience appropriate to executive and board level reporting and presentation
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.