LCS Commissioner, North America and Oceania
About the job
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the dramatic growth of esports. The League Championship Series (the LCS) represents the pinnacle of professional esports in North America. The LCS is the 3rd most popular professional league in the US among 18 to 34-year-old viewers, trailing behind the NFL and the NBA. As such, the LCS team is a unique crossover between the best of sports, and the best of video games. Fresh off the heels of a rebrand, the esports league is focused on building up its second generation of pro players and moving forward its position in the sports entertainment world. That’s where you come in.
As Commissioner and Product Lead of the LCS, you will guide the efforts of operating and further building a thriving competitive ecosystem for League of Legends. You will be front and center as the representative of the LCS for our professional teams and their owners, the media, fans, and our partners.
Your strategic vision, product management skills, deep operational craft, and passion for Esports will establish a new standard in professional Esports.
Your focus will be to create holistic, outstanding experiences for players, fans and esports organizations. You will be the lead driver to deliver value to our fans and partners, providing resonant and memorable experiences as well as strong commercial performance. To achieve this, you will develop and manage relationships with key internal stakeholders and teams from our local and global teams of publishing, content services, and business development and key external stakeholders including team ownership groups and the press.
You will also oversee the execution of the League of Legends Circuit Oceania (LCO) in Oceania and collaborate with those stakeholders as appropriate.
You will report to the Head of Esports, NA/OCE to align your strategy and vision with our overall esports strategy for these regions.
- Drive the LCS business strategy; define and execute a 3-year product strategy.
- Manage the LCS P&L, prepare and present insight, plans and recommendations to senior stakeholders
- Partner with our LCS franchise partners, understand their strategic and operational objectives, needs, and wishes, and create a transparent feedback loop between the LCS and the franchise partners.
- Lead and develop the League Management & Operations team, consisting of seasoned and highly dedicated Rioters focused on delivering amazing experiences to LCS fans, teams, and pro players.
- Develop and design a fan experience that puts fans first while being commercially viable for the league and teams.
- Act as a fusion point between competitive operations, business development, finance, and regional leadership.
- Manage external relationships, including fan communication, partner engagement, and media relationships, to continue to grow the LCS.
- Coordinate between partners and Riot stakeholders (global team, marketing, game teams) towards a shared vision and roadmap for delivering the best experience in esports through the LCS.
- 8+ years of product or commercial leadership experience in sports, tech, or entertainment;
- 4+ years of experience managing others, including hiring and performance management
- Proven driver of revenue and successful commercialization
- Proven ability to create and lead the execution of a multi-year strategy
- Experience managing & operating a P&L with direct accountability
- Deep experience understanding and negotiating large scale commercial deals with media companies, corporate partners, and the advertising business
- Extensive experience in competitive product management
- Experience negotiating deals with tournament organizers, production companies, broadcasters and media groups.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, experienced and comfortable acting as a public facing leader
- Detail-oriented and digitally organized
- Experience working with remote teams and external vendors
- JD/Legal background a plus
- Experience or training in a public facing role a plus
- Experience with media right deals a plus
- Experience in online/offline esports event production.
- Expert knowledge of the esports and gaming industry globally.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.