Lead Software Engineer, Server Infrastructure
Niantic is seeking Software Engineers to help build next-generation augmented reality and location-based games using Niantic’s Real World Platform.
The ideal candidate has a love for games and the ability to collaborate with Unity developers, technical artists, and game designers in order to build fun games at scale. We seek engineers with strong judgment, great execution, and a willingness to take on new responsibilities.
You will work on all aspects of the game backend, from designing RPC protocols to writing game logic to deploying and monitoring the servers. Building systems with security and scalability in mind is a must.
Our focus is shipping fun, world-class games. We value engineers who consistently deliver quality results. You will join an outstanding team of like-minded people to create cutting-edge mobile and AR experiences.
- Work with a small team of engineers, designers, artists, and producers to execute on a creative vision and deliver robust, efficient, and modular back-end systems and services.
- Create robust, low-latency, scalable systems that support Niantic’s products.
- Perform load testing, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Work with teams to architect and integrate multiple complex systems to together in a collaborative way.
- BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of industry experience.
- Have shipped at least one online game or app as a Senior or Lead Engineer.
- Fluent in Java.
- Previous experience in the gaming industry - mobile and/or games-as-a-service.
- You have experience with deployment on hosting providers, such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.