Senior Book Editor
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and experienced senior editor for the Story and Franchise Development team in Irvine, California. Story and Franchise Development focuses on developing Blizzard Entertainment’s universes through a variety of media, including animation, cinematics, illustrations, novels, comics, and more, working with internal as well as external talent.
As part of an editorial team, this role will create epic published products and help to expand Blizzard’s exciting publishing program in bold, new directions.
The senior editor will interface heavily with Blizzard’s licensing and game teams, managing the creative vision for each assigned project. In addition, the editor will work directly with the editorial and design staffs of our various publishing partners on licensed projects.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional creativity and the ability to oversee the development of multiple projects at once, providing strong editorial feedback for various forms of published media.
- Pitch, develop, and edit 6-8 projects a year in a variety of formats including comics/graphic novels, prose novels, art books, lore books, and specialty books
- Responsible for all aspects of editorial oversight on assigned titles, including concepting, line editing, and copywriting
- Acquire and develop new writing talent
- Serve as brand steward and creative contact to external partner editorial staffs
- Work with lead editor, senior producer, and publishing director on publishing strategy, ideation, and planning
- Support larger franchise initiatives with short stories, comics, and lore drops published direct via Blizzard’s website
- Represent Blizzard Entertainment at industry conventions as needed
EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES:
- Minimum 6 years editorial experience
- Excellent organizational skills and a committed, detail-oriented approach to problem solving
- Able to communicate effectively across multiple teams, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to collaborate and foster creative environments for colleagues, partners, and talent
- Industry knowledge of trends and competition, with a strong desire to explore new directions in the ever-changing publishing landscape
- Knowledge of story and book development from concept to final product in a variety of media
- Growth-oriented mindset, able to learn and grow in a collaborative team environment and within an iterative development process
- Strong storytelling skills and the ability to provide constructive criticism
- Interest and/or working knowledge of Blizzard Entertainment’s intellectual properties
- Background in licensed publishing, particularly in gaming or high-profile properties
- A passion for games, movies, comics, and other elements of pop culture
- Extensive understanding of one or more of Blizzard Entertainment’s intellectual properties
- Extensive knowledge of Blizzard Entertainment’s published products, including novels, comics, art books, specialty books, manga, and online publications
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
- **Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.