PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Our Senior Character Artists are responsible for modeling character art assets at the highest quality level. They also mentor, tutor, and provide assistance to other artists to improve workflow and content pipeline. This particular role also aids in Outsourcing (OS) duties. If our open position for a Sr. Character Artist with a focus in outsourcing sounds like a perfect fit, read on!
Essential Duties And Responsibilities Include The Following
- Creates low poly and high poly models using 3D application(s)
- Creates UV mapping for game resolution assets
- Creates texture/shader (color, normal, specular, ambient occlusion, height, cavity, and curvature maps using 2D/3D application(s)
- Works with proprietary in-house art tools to provide content to game engine
- Works with Art Director/ Lead Artist/Concept Artist to maintain art direction for the game
- Works with Character Art Team to maintain art direction for the game, providing and/or receiving constructive feedback when necessary
- Collaborates with other departments (Animation, design, tools, programming) to ensure art is implemented appropriately in the game engine
- Mentors, tutors, and provides assistance to other artists
- Experiments with and/or evaluates techniques and/or art programs to improve efficiency, workflow, or pipeline contribution to game art/engine
- Assist with outsourcing
- Write briefs, guidelines, overview OS process and deliveries
- Communicate with project managers and external vendors managers
- Other duties may be assigned
Education And/or Experience
- Fifth year college or university program certificate; or five to seven years related experience and/or training in video games or film; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced understanding of Maya (or Max), Substance Painter, Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, or equivalent, and Photoshop
- Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models
- Advanced understanding of PBR shader
- Advanced understanding of complex node-based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Engine, Substance Designer, etc.
- Understanding of source control via Perforce or equivalent
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong foundation skills with the ability to work with detailed or loose concept art, or reference art/ materials
- Expert knowledge of human and animal anatomy
- Advanced understanding of hair creation process
- Advance knowledge in organic and hard surface modelling
- Advanced traditional painting skills, and Ability to create models and shaders for a range of art directions, from photorealistic to stylized
- Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules
- Willingness to receive direction from lead artist and peers and work closely with a team
Please submit your application for our Sr. Character OS Artist opening below, we look forward to your submission.Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
Generally, We Obtain This Information Through Our Recruiting Team
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories.
Identification and contact information
Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.