Senior People Business Partner
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators, San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For
Our mission wouldn’t be possible without the very thing making Skillz happen: its people. We hire the top 1% of all candidates; now, we are building a top tier People team to drive how we’ll build, develop and support our growing Skillz team as we enter an incredibly exciting new phase of growth. As a newly created position, the Senior People Business Partner will be responsible for aligning talent strategies within our Revenue, Product & Tech and Operations business lines to further drive results. This role is a key partner to senior leadership and people leaders in executing transformational, systematic organization and talent strategies to match the growth of our rapidly scaling business.
The People team will empower Skillz to continue doubling in size every year: by hiring the Skillzians we need to scale, and by building and implementing the robust yet innovative solutions, processes, and development programs aligned with our business objectives. Specifically, the Senior People Business Partner will be the conduit between the business teams and our People Centers of Excellence (Talent Acquisition, Total Rewards, Org Development, and Employee Experience) to bring business insights into our program design, partner with the COE leaders and business leaders to ensure tight alignment of plans, facilitate adoption of new programs and lead our effective and ongoing talent engagement and management processes.
Relationship building is critical to your leadership style. You enjoy a mission-driven, fast-paced environment where the work you put in daily directly impacts organizational growth. You learn the inner workings of a business and are proactive in driving the organization towards continuous improvement.
What You Will Do
- Partner with senior leaders to develop and deliver the People team’s initiatives - driving business results and an exceptional employee experience
- Deeply understand the specific business and talent needs of the organization to propose and drive new people initiatives that align with business needs
- Consult with leaders and teams to enhance their team members’ performance and overall organizational effectiveness
- Work with People leadership to develop and implement systems and processes to drive continuous learning and knowledge-sharing across the organization through the lens of growth and scale
- Proactively lead the implementation of People initiatives, within a specific business unit - including but not limited to: talent reviews, performance management, succession planning, employee engagement and retention; leadership and people development; diversity & inclusion; and culture, workplace and employee experience
- Develop thoughtful organizational design and partner with business leaders and the Talent Acquisition team to align hiring plans to strategically staff all functional areas of the business - across all current and future Skillz locations - with top talent
- Continuously think about our customers, team members and business to foster an environment of accountability for driving results
- 10+ years of progressive HR experience, with 5+ years in an HRBP role or equivalent role; business line experience an added plus
- BS required, advanced degrees and/or relevant certifications a plus
- Proven success operating in a rapid growth business and organization, with global expansion a plus
- Business and strategic acumen to align with where the business is headed and partner to develop programs proactively
- Leadership that inspires and grounds others in a shared purpose; able to engage and influence people across diverse groups and levels
- Analytical mindset; you seek to understand and solve a problem and instinctively ask for data
- Tremendous emotional intelligence and judgment, enabling your success as a trusted partner for Skillz business leaders
- Unwavering passion and drive to make Skillz the best place to work