Software Engineer - all skill levels
About the job
We are looking for engineers of all skill levels to join our amazing server engineering team. As a server engineer, you will work on supporting and scaling our tournament server platform to support billions of tournaments each month. Come join an exciting, growing, and diverse engineering team that values culture and collaboration, and help us scale our platform to new heights.
What You'll Do
- Add exciting new features to our tournament server platform enabling competitions, tournaments and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world
- Work with a variety of cloud-based, async and persistence technologies such as Kafka, Redis, DynamoDB, and MySQL RDS.
- Work on a distributed system throughout its life-cycle - research, design, development, testing, CI / CD.
- Responsible for the scalability, availability and performance of production systems for a fast growing user base.
- Collaborate with cross functional groups to define, scope and deliver new features.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring, onboarding, and mentoring new hires.
- Experience in one or more backend languages such as Java, C#, Golang.
- Experience with MySQL or other RDBMS databases including design and optimization.
- Experience building RESTful web services.
- Experience with container platforms such as Kubernetes for large scale deployment of microservices.
- Experience with AWS or other cloud providers is a huge plus.
- Experience with NoSQL databases in a production environment is a plus.
Benefits And Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 12 paid holidays + 3 days between Christmas and New Years
- 15 days paid vacation, plus additional days based on tenure, up to 20 days.
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave (12 weeks)
- Well-being programs (meditation, online fitness membership etc)
- 401(K) plans with employer match
- Winter shut-down + half-day Fridays in August. Skillzians are encouraged to stay well-rounded & rested.
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.