Software Engineer, Cloud Gaming
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
About The Role
As a Lead Software Engineer at Skillz, you’ll use your technical expertise to lead the development of complex, multi-disciplinary applications. From large-scale consumer facing applications, to entirely new technologies and products, Skillz’s Engineers support and power the platform that makes eSport to everyone possible.
What You'll Do
- Master the entire application life-cycle including research, design, development, testing, along with continuous deployment and delivery
- Develop complex, highly available, distributed, cloud-based solutions, and maintain its high level of quality software
- Add exciting new product to our world-class platform enabling competitions, tournaments and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building great products as much as you do
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of industry experience designing and implementing successful large scale infrastructure on public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Have the ability to work in a dynamic agile development environment, as members of the team play a role in the entire life cycle of development
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages such as Golang (preferred), Java, or C++
- Hands-on experience in containerization and cloud services frameworks in both Kubernetes and AWS
- Ability to troubleshoot, debug, and solve the complex problems that distributed, scalable systems introduce
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.