Sr. Android Developer, R&D
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For
Our Research and Development department sets the vision for the future of the Skillz player experience in new arenas and the Hardware team is the latest addition. Skillz is a mobile social gaming platform where players compete for real prizes. We build a player experience that is visually rich with tournaments, chat, leaderboards, payments and customer support. In this role, you and the Hardware team will be building the physical representation of the Skillz brand by bringing new types of gameplay to millions of players through the development of a variety of hardware initiatives.
As an Android Developer on the newly formed and quickly growing Hardware team you will be working on a variety of projects ranging from building a new Android user experience to prototyping new game mechanics as we explore new opportunities for the Skillz platform - flexibility and creativity are key in this role. This is the perfect opportunity for a scrappy, creative engineer looking for startup-like ownership over their innovative ideas backed by “big-company” resources to bring those ideas to life.
What You’ll Do
- You’ll work closely with our Research and Development Hardware team, UX designers and game designers to build unique Skillz experiences on Android and iOS
- Prototype and validate innovative new game play mechanics in mobile, AR and mixed reality with the Research and Development team
- Take full ownership of projects from prototype to deployment
- Implement your own suggestions to make a positive impact on the Skillz ecosystem
- Execute on R&D projects to push forward the range of content offered on the Skillz platform
- 2+ years of software development experience, with a minimum of 1+ years working with the Android SDK
- Creative self-starter who can take responsibility for making things happen, and enjoys working on very productive, fast-paced teams
- Experience with application interface guidelines, push notifications, APIs, and cloud messaging
- Experience with web applications, databases, Unity or iOS is a plus
- Knowledge of other web technologies and UI/UX standards
- Experience with Apple’s ARKit is a plus