Sr. Electrical Engineer, R&D
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For
Our Research and Development department sets the vision for the future of the Skillz player experience in new arenas and the Hardware team is the latest addition. Skillz is a mobile social gaming platform where players compete for real prizes. We build a player experience that is visually rich with tournaments, chat, leaderboards, payments and customer support. In this role, you and the Hardware team will be building the physical representation of the Skillz brand by bringing new types of gameplay to millions of players through the development of a variety of hardware initiatives.
As Senior Electrical Engineer on the newly formed and quickly growing Hardware team you will be working on a variety of projects from gaming controllers to AR/VR devices as we develop and explore new opportunities in the gaming space - flexibility and creativity is key in this role. The ideal candidate will have a background in consumer electronics and
This is the perfect role for a scrappy, creative engineer looking for startup-like ownership over their innovative ideas with big-company resources to bring those ideas to life.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the hardware design for a continual flow new products ranging from prototype to production in mobile gaming, AR/VR and fitness
- Build out EE architecture, owning development through the product life cycle
- Work closely with ME and Firmware to develop product specifications, select key components, develop schematics and, occasionally, layout
- Lead the Research and Development team through technical investigations and identity innovative solutions to challenges
- Build out validation tests and test criteria for internal teams and external development partners
- Provide budgets, schedules and deliverables for integration into the master R&D program management system
- Serve as a technical subject matter expert across the research and development organization
- Lead the in house development, construction and testing of prototypes to validate product concepts
- Travel to contract manufacturing partners as necessary to identify and resolve issues in production
- Minimum of 5 years of electrical engineering work experience
- Knowledgeable in BT and BT LE standards
- Proven design skills with industry-standard CAD/EDA tools from start to finish
- Experience working with consumer electronics and mass manufacturing
- Experience Analog and mixed-signal designs: low noise, high channel count and/or high speed applications.
- Experience with digital hardware designs: FPGA, microcontrollers, memories, SoC, high speed interfaces and connectors, etc.
- Demonstrated hands on electronics prototyping experience, including soldering and rework of fine-pitch SMT components
- Able to show lab skills, including the use of test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc.) to debug and reverse engineer complex electronic circuits
- Able to flourish while working on multiple projects at different stages
- Understanding of regulatory and governing requirements