About the job
That's No Moon is an independent studio of storytellers and game-makers who believe in the power of narrative-driven experiences. With a diverse team of talented developers, from some of the top game studios in the world (Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Bungie), our shared vision is to create the future of AAA experiences with a culture of creativity, collaboration, and responsible production practices. Our passionate team of developers help shape our studio, our projects, and our future.We are looking for a hardworking Senior Systems Designer to focus on gameplay systems and content ownership. This includes developing, pitching, scripting, and balancing systems and associated data. You will work with experienced developers to push innovation, agency, quality, and fidelity for next-gen gameplay that matches our next-gen storytelling.Responsibilities:
- You will own content for single player systems with a focus on player experience. You will collaborate with leads and directors to develop systems driven mechanics, item content, and bodies of data that support advanced gameplay mechanics that set the bar for the games industry.
- As part of a highly skilled and lean design team that believes in self-sufficiency, the Senior System Designer’s responsibilities will include scripting systemic behavior, developing player progression/customization systems, and balancing resource economies for said systems.
- Work with production, engineering, animation, UI, and design teams to implement content, solve workflow issues, and develop content pipelines.
- We believe in ownership, so the more of your aesthetic and technical vision that you can prototype with your own skills, the better.
- We also believe in open communication and collaboration – use your skills to communicate your vision to the rest of the team and get all the departments pumped to collaborate with you!
- You will also work with producers to plan out and prioritize your development schedule. Know what the most important parts of your design are and have plans to reduce scope if something takes longer than expected.
Requirements & Skills:
- Experience with progression, customization, and economy game systems that require management and fine tuning of large bodies of data.
- Knowledge of and interest in the type of game we are making.
- Knowledge of Unreal engine, blueprints scripting, and the gameplay ability system are a big plus.
- Knowledge of scripting within Excel is a plus.
- Shipped at least 2 games at AAA quality.
- Have an eye for player experience! Conceptualize and pitch experience driven game systems and mechanics. Communicate clearly and visually to the Directors and the team.
- Have ownership of your content. Once designs have been approved, the Senior Systems Designer will be responsible for these features to ship.
- Be creative. We don’t want to micromanage. Nothing makes us happier than seeing you prototype ideas we would have never conceptualized.
- Be proactive. Don’t wait to be assigned a task – pitch concepts that you believe will make the game better and pitch them regularly.
- Be a generalist. Learn whatever skills will help you complete your vision. From making prototype assets, UI, VFX, animation, audio, etc. – a designer is a versatile person. You will have stellar artists and engineers to help you, but the more you can present a singular vision to us with your prototype work, the more excited we will get about it!
- Be responsible. You will be checking in scripting, content, and data without review. It’s your job not to break the build.
TNM considers a number of factors when determining each role's base pay range, including industry benchmarks, location, experience, and other job specific skills. In addition to base pay, this role may be eligible for other incentive compensation including equity and profit share. The estimated base pay range for this role is U.S. only and not applicable for locations outside of the U.S.The estimated base pay range for this role is: $130,000 - $180,000TNM offers competitive and comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, supplemental life and disability, and more. Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary based on country of residence and/or part-time or temporary employment status.That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.