About the job
We are a team of intrepid explorers, creating worlds that we’ve always wanted to experience. We are curiosity seekers, working together to solve the challenges that come with stepping into the unknown. And we know that we’ll get there faster if we stay together and embrace different perspectives and new ways of thinking. We invite those who share our vision for groundbreaking player experiences to explore our career openings and join us in this journey of creating new worlds together.As the Senior Character Concept Artist, you will be central to visualizing and conveying the artistic vision for our character-driven projects. You will play a crucial role in shaping our studio’s aesthetic, creating compelling and memorable character designs for our immersive gaming worlds. We are not just looking for an artist; we need a visionary who can contribute innovative ideas, engage in the entire character development process, and drive our project from initial concepts to implementation, breathing life into distinctive and engaging characters.Key Responsibilities
- Create captivating and realistic character designs that align with the art direction in a timely manner.
- Produce high-quality key art, narratively driven to both inform and inspire.
- Collaborate closely with Art, Narrative, Design, and Tech teams to ensure the artistic vision aligns with and enhances the overall game experience.
- Establish and uphold visual guidelines and standards during the Concept production process to ensure ongoing quality and consistency.
- Develop and maintain a deep knowledge of the game's narrative and character mechanics, ensuring art elevates the player experience.
- Establish and maintain constructive feedback loops with both in-house and external Concept Artists.
- A bachelor's degree in Art, Graphic Design, Game Design, or a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a concept artist role, with at least 2 years of experience in a leadership position within a gaming studio.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating exceptional skills in character focused concept art and a deep understanding of composition, color theory, perspective, lighting, environment, and character design.
- Proficiency with industry-standard software, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Zbrush and other 3D modeling tools.
- Capability for self-directed work and providing constructive feedback to help steer the efforts of team members.
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- Experience working on shipped AAA titles.
- Strong understanding and practical experience with next-generation asset creation workflows.
- Proficiency in using Unreal Engine for rapid prototyping.
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven ability to articulate design concepts and rationales to other team members and stakeholders.
- Passion for gaming, with an awareness of current industry trends and an understanding of player expectations.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, able to adapt quickly to new technologies and workflows.
Compensation Range: 83,000 - 138,000 CAD
We are an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other protected status as required as by law.