About the job
At Turtle Rock, we make the games we want to play. We're dedicated to providing a collaborative environment where our team members feel empowered with the creative freedom to contribute and grow. While we are based in Orange County, CA, we support flexible work arrangements ranging from in-studio, hybrid, to fully remote throughout North America. Join our award-winning game development team and help create our next AAA title.We are looking for a Lead Environment Artist to be a part of our Environment Art team. As a Lead Environment Artist, you will be responsible for guiding high-level environment art quality from concept to completion. The right candidate for this position looks for opportunities to mentor and coach their team, while collaborating across disciplines to ensure gameplay spaces look visually interesting, are fun to play, and provide unforgettable experiences for our players. This role will report to the Art Director (Maps).
- Lead the environment team: maintain consistency across the department providing direction and feedback, ensuring all team members understand their role in the department and know what is expected of them.
- Lead team meetings and relay important studio information when required
- Work closely with department manager to provide mentorship and coaching for Environment team members including but not limited to: 1:1s, career development, performance evaluations, and goal setting.
- Use a combination of modeling, texturing, and set dressing/world-building skills to help push the visual quality bar
- Help plan out and develop individual environments from prototype to final art quality
- Maintain high-level environment art quality from concept to completion.
- Work closely with the Tech Art and Rendering team to ensure the environment team has sufficient tools for gathering and interpreting data for memory management and performance statistics.
- Collaborate with creative directors and other department leads to ensure that gameplay spaces look visually interesting, are fun to play, and provide unforgettable experiences for the player
- 7+ years of experience in game development with one or more shipped titles on multiple platforms in a senior/principal or leadership role for game environments
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates experience world building including modeling, texturing, and set-dressing environments for games
- Must be comfortable taking on responsibility for the development of complex environments while pushing the visual quality bar
- Demonstrated experience working with modern FPS engines (UE4, UE5, etc.) and modern art pipelines
- Experience working with a variety of modern art pipelines including modular, organic, and hard surface construction
- Demonstrated experience working with realistic art styles
- Keen production sensibilities, ability to collaborate on timelines and communicate with Production and team members on task duration and prioritization
- Ability to maintain high-quality and consistent progress
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and teaching skills
- Strong ability to interpret and adapt to general and flexible direction. Can thrive in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Proficient in Maya, 3ds Max, or Blender
- A passion for games and world building
- Experience with AAA First Person action titles
- Familiarity with asset tracking and issue tracking tools such as Perforce and JIRA
Some of the benefits and perks our employees get to enjoy, include:
- 100% Medical, Dental, Vision Coverage for you and your family
- 401k Matching
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Student Loan Repayment Plan / College Savings Plan
- Career Improvement Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements - In-House, Hybrid, and Remote
- Generous Time Off Policy
- Company Events - In-Person Summer Family Bash + Halloween Party + Virtual Events
- Fully Stocked Kitchen + Sponsored Food Trucks