About the job
Methodical Games is a newly formed studio built around a fundamental set of ideals; a lean talented team, direct cross-discipline collaboration, quick iteration, and developer-driven processes. Our goal is to foster a haven for developers to push the bounds of their craft and collaborate directly with other creative minds. As our name suggests, we pride ourselves on a detail oriented approach to game development with a focus on meticulously crafted gameplay. You might even call it an obsession. We’re seeking passionate individuals from all walks of life to join us in building something great.We are looking for an experienced Level Designer to create multiplayer levels for a new IP built in Unreal Engine 5. Our ideal candidate has experience creating multiplayer levels that leverage gameplay sensibilities, a strong technical background, solid aesthetic sense, and has shipped multiplayer games as a level designer. A portfolio link with videos or screenshots highlighting your work is expected with the application.
- Develop compelling locations that leverage the games core mechanics, from block mesh to final.
- Create high-level overviews of concepts using visualization tools to quickly convey ideas and drive design discussion.
- Work closely with art and design to plan, build, and iterate on compelling level designs that drive a unique type of multiplayer gameplay.
- Communicate openly and consistently with other disciplines to ensure consistent execution of the game vision.
- Create test scenarios to rapidly iterate and inform gamewide decisions.
- Optimize and ship open world environments for multiple target platforms.
- Play and give feedback on the game. Your voice matters.
- 5+ years experience as a level designer and a portfolio including work from a shipped title.
- Passion for crafting play spaces that are fun, beautiful, and believable.
- Deep understanding of multiplayer games, their dynamics, and the ability to articulate these in the context of your design.
- Gameplay minded; comfortable finding the fun with rapid prototyping and block mesh layouts.
- Solid technical background and scripting (Unreal Blueprints) knowledge is required.
- Experience designing large levels utilizing open world and procedural tools.
- Self motivated and passionate about pushing boundaries, experimenting with new technologies and processes.
- Passionate gamer who can speak to the strengths and weaknesses of different types of single player and multiplayer games.
Nice to Have
- Expert with advanced features of Unreal Engine 5.
- Shipped console game experience.
- Experience with procedural environment creation (Houdini, etc)
- Experience with 3D art tools and techniques (Maya, 3DS Max)
- Experience working on a new game IP with a small team.
How we work
- Methodical Games is a remote hybrid studio with an office in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are building an office first culture centered around collaboration, but we are open to fully remote work depending on the position and candidate.
- Everyone is a hands-on contributor and we believe in leading by example.
- We’re a small cross-discipline team communicating directly with one another.
- It is important to us to maintain an inclusive environment where everyone feels empowered to be themselves and do their best work.
What we offer
- Competitive salary.
- Generous equity and profit sharing.
- Unlimited paid time off, paid annual holidays off, paid Winter break.
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance with 100% of premiums covered for employees.
- 401(k) retirement plan and Flex Spending accounts.
- Relocation assistance to the Raleigh area.
- Centrally located office minutes from downtown Raleigh, Cary, and Durham. Walk to PNC Arena (home of the Carolina Hurricanes).
- Garage parking with free EV charging!
Please be aware of recruitment scams. You will only be contacted by emails from @methodical.com or through our recruitment partner @newlvlrecruiting.com.